Sunday, August 15, 2010

Back to School Party!

My mom always had these when my siblings and I were school-goers. She wrapped all our school supplies and new clothes to open before each new school year and we had a little party to get us excited to go back to school. I thought about it while Jace has been in school, but wasn't sure if I was ready for that kind of commitment every year. Plus, he was already excited enough, back then, to go to school.

This year seemed like a good time to start. Jace had a lot of homework last year, and isn't looking forward to that again. And Lance is beginning Kindergarten! So the kids and I went shopping together for school supplies. I gave Jace and Lance their lists, and they pushed their own carts around the store and loaded them. Kyle and Cami helped, of course. I found a few extra glue sticks and items that didn't even look like school supplies in the cart.

Then yesterday while Jared was home, I took off to Kohl's (I just found out that we live right by it!) and got some shopping done so the boys would have crisp new clothes. I remember how much I loved getting new school clothes. I bought a few cute things for me, too, of course, to reward myself for the great job I did of shopping :)
It seemed like a waste to just hand all these new things to them without a party!waiting patiently to open the goods while mom gets a pic You can't tell, but his shoes light up when he walks. He absolutely loves these! Kyle and I are going to have preschool at home this year. I thought hard about putting him in preschool, but I just feel so much more at peace with having him home with us. He doesn't begin Kindergarten until he's almost 6, just like Lance. So perhaps he can go to preschool next year. It will be nice for Cami to have a buddy home with her.
Cami's not sure what the fuss is all about, but she's ready to party anytime.
Jace seems to like his shirts: (Top) "Dear Teacher, I'm a dog & I LOVE eating homework! But you've been assigning TOO MUCH! Please STOP! IF I eat any more homework I might EXPLODE! signed, the dog."

(Bottom) "What I WISH my parents would say...We're raising your allowance to $1,000 a week! You must be tired, I'll clean up your room for you. I know you busted the window, but let's blame someone else! Here's your new touch screen phone. Just for fun, let's pretend everyday is your birthday! TV is GOOD for your eyes!"

Lance loves his new clothes, shoes, and Camo backpack. He quickly changed into them, and my goodness, he looks so grown up. He is so excited to make new friends in school!
~doing the Back to School dance~

We've found the classrooms, met the teachers and principals, and loaded our bags. We role-played how to introduce ourselves and meet new friends. Each child, including Cami, received father's blessings. I think we're ready! Here's to a great school year and many more to come!

3 comments:

  1. Yea for you! I think having a party is a perfect idea! We don't start till the 30th, and I'm going to miss my boys and the freedoms of summer.

    You're such a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe that Timothy and Lance are in Kindergarten?! Today was Timothy's first day...he loved it! I'm keeping Kassie home this year too, she'll go to preschool next year. Hope they all enjoy their new school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I may have to adopt this in our little family! Thanks for sharing! You are such a good mom and I love seeing all that your family is up to! How's intern year going? :)

    ReplyDelete

All New Feature