Sunday, June 08, 2008

Good Things Left

Yesterday we took a trip to the library to get started on our summer reading. Lance picked 3 books out that he was very excited about. Jace picked one book out, and I told him he ought to get another one because he is a fast reader. I also got Charlotte's Web for him despite him saying he didn't want to read it.

What is it about when you desire something for your child, that you know is good because you've tasted it yourself, and they don't want much to do with it? It reminds me of a Tree of Life story...

Anyway, I told him my story of how my second grade teacher read Charlotte's Web to our class and I remembered her crying in the end and I thought it was a good book because she cried. Okay, maybe that scared him away.

But nonetheless, I know this is a good book, and he's gotta enjoy it like I did! But I didn't push it on him, I just sort of left it on him.

We brought the library books home and enjoyed them during quiet time. Only Jace came to me and said, "Mom, I've read both the books I picked out." He was bummed that we wouldn't be going back to the library until next week. We will definitely bring a bigger pile home next week!

So today, at quiet time, I left "Charlotte's Web" sitting there on the couch that Jace usually reads on. We got home from church and I noticed Jace pick up the book and begin reading. A bit later, I called all the kids to the table for lunch. It was so funny; he held the book under the table and continued to read it while the other 2 boys scrambled in and got situated. I don't know if he was hiding it or just held it there out of convenience, either way, I left it alone. Except for when I asked him if Wilbur had gone to the state fair yet, and he hadn't. Ooops.

He hurried through lunch, and after clearing his place, was back on the couch engrossed again. He's now over halfway through, and may be finished with it tomorrow. Time for another trip to the library... I think we'll walk, what with the horrendous gas issues -- and we'll be making a lot of trips there this summer.

So do you think, if I put a Book of Mormon on his "reading couch", we would see the same result?

3 comments:

  1. What a great little reader you have. I would love to say yes he will read the Book of Mormon, but maybe not. Try getting him the reader one with the pictures. I think Alexis's was only $5 and he might read that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, what a little bookworm! you must be so proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, I don't think it'll work, either, but it's worth a try! I could hide all the books in the house except that one, but that might be along the lines of a controlling parent.

    He actually just read the B of M reader one with the pictures during a span of several sacrament meetings!

    ReplyDelete

All New Feature