Monday, September 15, 2008

Daddy's Gone A-Hunting

Looks like an ordinary hallway to me ... except what is that huge hooflike thing sticking out at the end? Gives me the chills...

Oh! It's just Jared processing the meat from his... WHAT?! Elk?!

Jared just got back from the hunt of his lifetime. Look at that smile! During the Archery hunt, he shot the herd bull on public land near the cabin. He also had several close encounters with bears. From now on, he says he will be carrying Bear Mase when he travels out into the wilderness. He had a great time, and after much diligence and labor, he came upon his dream elk.
He bugled it in until it was only 10 feet away, and he hadn't even pulled back his bow yet! He pulled it back, and the elk ran 25 yards, then stopped to look back. That's when it happened. I guess you could say curiousity killed the elk.
Then the work began. Jared was 2 miles into the mountains and had to hike four trips, plus a trip from his buddy (thanks, Rich!). He figures the elk weighed about 800 lbs.


Was it worth it? For Jared and the boys, not a question! For me... if it puts that smile on Jared's face, and the meat's good, then sure. (The hoof horror in the hallway is gone now.)

4 comments:

  1. OK, so I don't know if I could handle the hoof in the hall. But, that is great that he got his Elk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy wow. That thing is huge. Congrats...I guess. :) Im sure you will love a mounted elk in your home someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a lot of work! I would have made him take it outside, gross!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a very patient wife...I don't know if I could handle that! You're wonderful though and I miss you!! Hope everything else (besides hoofs in the hall) is going well for you :) Tell Hanrim I said hi!

    Marissa

    ReplyDelete

All New Feature