Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Five Months, Four Days



We're gonna start seeing more of this now. Aren't they sweet? Jared turned in his applications for residency a few weeks ago, and now we get to wait! Interviews begin in November, ending in December. We will get a letter in March stating where Jared has matched and where we will live for the next 4 years.

Jared applied at the following Obstetrics and Gynecology programs:

Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center Program, Phoenix, AZ

Phoenix Integrated Residency Program, Phoenix, AZ

University of Arizona Program, Tucson, AZ

University of California (Irvine) Program, Orange, CA

University of California (San Diego), San Diego, CA

University of Colorado Program, Aurora, CO

University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Program, Iowa City, IA

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education (Rochester) Program, Rochester, MN

Twin Cities Integrated Residency Program, Minneapolis, MN

St Louis University Group of Hospitals Program, St Louis, MO

Washington University School of Medicine Program, St Louis, MO

Mountain Area Health Education Center Program, Asheville, NC

Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center Program, Winston-Salem, NC

Creighton University Program, Omaha, NE

University of Nebraska Program, Omaha, NE

University of New Mexico Program, Albuquerque, NM

Ohio State University Program/Mt. Carmel Health Program, Columbus, OH

University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center Program, Oklahoma City, OK

Oregon Health & Science University Residency Program, Portland, OR

University of Utah Program, Salt Lake City, UT

University of Washington Program, Seattle, WA

Medical College of Wisconsin Program, Milwaukee, WI

University of Wisconsin (Madison) Program
, Madison, WI

Although we would love to stay in Utah close to our family and friends here, there are some great things that could happen if we expanded our horizons :) So far, he has an interview in St. Louis, Omaha, and here at the U of U.

Jace's thoughts about St. Louis, MO: "We should go to Missouri. That's where Adam-Ondi-Ahman is." I'm glad that Jace is opening his mind to the prospects of living in a different state. He'll be starting 5th grade wherever we go, and Lance, Kindergarten.

There is a doctor in Omaha that teaches surgical techniques that Jared is particularly interested in. This doctor presented a Fertility Surgical Conference in Italy during Jared's 2nd year. Jared met him while he was there presenting his research on Clomid, a fertility drug.

After interviews, both the residency programs and Jared make a rank list stating their top choices. The NRMP (National Resident Matching Program) then comes up with a "match". On Match Day we will enjoy a luncheon with Jared's class where we will open an envelope that contains the match results. Match Day is on March 18th, 2010. But who's counting?

9 comments:

  1. So is he still taking classes until then? I am finding it hard to wait right now! I hope it flies by and you get the program that is best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo! I can't believe it's time for residency alreasy! seems like it's gone by really fast.... but probably not so fast for you. I remember how long it took for my dad to get through med school... anyhoo, Omaha would be fun- there is TONS of stuff to do there. And do you remember Audra Ellis (we went to girl's camp and then to Des Moines with her.) I remember you two really hitting it off.... both of you were obsessed with getting married and what not. Hahaha... those were the days, eh? Anyway, she lives in Omaha, too. Can't wait to find out where you will go! What an ADVENTURE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH! that is so exciting! I it must be a great feeling of accomplishment for your family! I didn't know what specialty he had picked that is great! That fertility surgery sounds interesting and cool. I am excited to find out where you all end up :) ~hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal,
    Jared is still taking a class once a week at night for a few hours, but, aside from research, he is currently doing a rotation in Women's Electives, which means several different fields, like infertility, breast cancer, planning parenthood (which basically is for teens and unplanned pregancies, and others - I wish I knew more details, but I feel like I still don't see him much even though it's s'posed to be less busy right now!
    Following this rotation (ending next week) hunting season begins, then interview season for 2 months, and then... he'll just be doing research again. That means more trips to the cabin Woohoo! I am not sure what is in the remainder of the year, besides graduation... all I can think of is packing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maaret,
    I remember Audra! Yes, those were the days! Now we're living the dream, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe it is already interview season, time really flies by! Best Wishes and Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, so I finally figured out what I am doing with my blog and scrapbook and I'm combining both. I am making my pictures into scrapbook pages using adobe photoshop elements and then I will put all of them into a photobook from costco and print it off, that way I have everything together- I hope that makes sense... Anyway, best wishes with everything let me know what I can do to help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Jace when you are called to gather with the saints in Missouri you won't have as far to walk!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will pray for SD! :)

    ReplyDelete

All New Feature