Saturday, January 26, 2008

I love my Handy-Man!

Kyle has become a terrific monkey. If you walk into our house while he's awake, you will see all the chairs around the table turned on their sides in an effort to avoid Kyle from taking a walk on the table. He loves getting into anything that's available to him. Jared has drilled child-proof locks into each of our kitchen drawers and cupboards that Kyle can reach. If we forget to lock the dishwasher, Kyle will remind us:




















Despite our efforts, Kyle quickly figured out that, when all else fails, the oven will open. (This oven has NO locks!) He has climbed in, dishwasher style, to enjoy his new seat on the oven door. It was such a horrible thought to me that I couldn't bring myself to take a picture! After Jared did some thinking, (it was really cute of Jared because, as I was busy doing something in the kitchen, I noticed him come back and forth from the kitchen to, I don't know, maybe the back room where his tools are? I could almost hear the wheels turning with a soon to be solution for this scary habit Kyle has developed....

And voila! Look at this brilliance! It's a chopstick tucked behind the oven with rope tied to itself and the door! When I need to use the oven, I simply untuck the chopstick! And NO MORE scary explorations for Kyle!

I am so glad I have such an awesome, smart handy man with me.... forever!

5 comments:

  1. It's always amazing to me that little kids can manage to get into so many things so quickly... they're like mini tornados... there's no way to tell where they're going next, but anyone can see where they've been! Love the pics... and that chopstick idea is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great idea! It is scary when they learn something new, Alexis liked to hang on the handle to the oven. It has only come open once and she was pretty scared, hasn't done it since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, and whenever you need the kids to behave better, just whip out that chopstick and you've got a weapon better than the Ninja Turtles! (Back in the good old days -- when parents beat their kids without anyone calling DCFS -- Clint's mom used to swat their bums with a wooden spoon. If they made her *really* mad, she used a pasta spoon, the kind with the prongs on them! Eek!) Ask Jared to invent a make-shift lock for my fridge in his spare time. I can't keep Grant out to save myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I'll have to remember the oven tie idea when Jackson starts to get into everthing...which is already happening:-) In fact, he is currently playing in the fridge trying to get all the salad dressings. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have great hubby...I love your selves and I need to come see your light in your front room! I will have to start copying some these ideas. Don't worry I'll pay the Martin Fam their royalties even if there is no patent

    ReplyDelete

All New Feature